- UF College of Medicine approves designated Sepsis and Critical Illness Research Center
May 18, 2017
The University of Florida College of Medicine has approved a designated Sepsis and Critical Illness Research Center. The center stems from a UF department of surgery-led initiative established in 2014...
- Ali Zarrinpar, M.D., Ph.D., joins UF College of Medicine’s division of transplantation surgery
May 12, 2017
Ali Zarrinpar, M.D., Ph.D., has joined the division of transplantation surgery in the University of Florida College of Medicine as an associate professor. Zarrinpar earned his medical degree from the...
- Colorectal surgery protocol leads to decrease in length of stay, readmissions for ileostomy patients
May 11, 2017
A quality improvement initiative at UF Health Shands Hospital has led to a significant drop in the length of stay and readmissions among ileostomy patients. The intervention specifically targets...
- Read the Spring 2017 issue of The Stitch
April 27, 2017
- UF Department of Surgery offers specialized training for physician assistants
April 19, 2017
The University of Florida is among a handful of educational institutions nationwide offering a specialized surgery residency for physician assistants, or PAs. “Students might graduate from physician...
- Sometimes you need a team of people to cheer you to victory
January 31, 2017
Two years ago, Barbara Adams, 46, discovered how important the support of the right team could be. She was volunteering at the local YMCA, playing kickball with the children, and […]
- UF Health Cancer Network earns national accreditation for quality care
January 31, 2017
The UF Health Cancer Network has received a three-year accreditation with commendation by the Commission on Cancer, a quality program of the American College of Surgeons.
- Breast cancer survival takes a village
November 29, 2016
“It’s no big deal.” That was the first thought of Adela Van Antwerp, a UF College of Medicine department of surgery administrative specialist, when her radiologist found a questionable mass...
- Read the Fall 2016 issue of The Stitch
November 1, 2016
- Course prepares UF medical students for first year as surgical residents
November 1, 2016
Surgical residents face myriad challenges in the first weeks of their intern year as they transition from students to clinicians. “The hardest part about being an intern is that you […]
- UF Health recognized for excellence in pancreatic cancer treatment
October 18, 2016
- Atif Iqbal, M.D., appointed to national colorectal surgery committees
September 20, 2016
Atif Iqbal, M.D., an assistant professor of surgery at the UF College of Medicine’s Department of Surgery, has been selected as a surgical expert (three-year term, one term renewable by […]
- UF surgery resident’s research earns recognition from American College of Surgeons
August 24, 2016
Ahsan Raza, M.D., a fifth-year general surgery resident at the University of Florida College of Medicine, has earned second place in a paper competition organized by the American College of […]
- Faculty join UF College of Medicine’s Department of Surgery
August 10, 2016
Two surgeons have joined the faculty in the University of Florida’s College of Medicine’s Department of Surgery. Alexander L. Ayzengart, MD, MPH, FACS, is an assistant professor in the...
- Read the Summer 2016 issue of The Stitch
August 7, 2016
- UF Health Shands Hospital tied for top in state in 2016 U.S. News hospital rankings
August 2, 2016
- Three UF department of surgery faculty promoted
July 29, 2016
Three faculty members at the UF College of Medicine’s Department of Surgery have received promotions. Steven Hughes, MD, chief of the division of general surgery and vice chair for the […]
- In the fight against sepsis, time means everything
June 15, 2016
In the world of sepsis treatment, the scale is vast and the cost is staggering. Every year, 258,000 people in the United States die from sepsis. Hundreds of thousands of others recover with...
- Blocking protein in blood may prevent sepsis in premature infants
May 13, 2016
UF Health researchers have found that blocking a certain protein in the blood with medication could help protect premature infants from sepsis, a common and sometimes deadly infection, according to...
- Sanda Tan, M.D., Ph.D., inducted into UF Society of Teaching Scholars
May 10, 2016
Sanda Tan, M.D., Ph.D., an associate professor of surgery at University of Florida (UF) College of Medicine, was appointed to the UF Society of Teaching Scholars. She is the only […]
- UF undergrad and surgery lab researcher named to University Scholars Program
May 4, 2016
Catherine Miney, a senior biomedical engineering major at UF, was recently accepted into the University of Florida (UF) University Scholars Program. She is currently a student in a lab overseen...
- UF Health Weight Loss Surgery Center hosts annual walk
March 29, 2016
The UF Health Weight Loss Surgery Center team hosted its annual one-mile walk on March 17. Care team members included Jeffrey Friedman, M.D., UF Health’s director of bariatric surgery and […]
- UF professor elected to American Board of Surgery’s board of directors
February 11, 2016
George Sarosi, M.D., Robert H. Hux professor in the UF Department of Surgery, has been elected to the American Board of Surgery’s (ABS) board of directors. He will serve a […]
- Four new surgeons join the UF department of surgery
January 27, 2016
Jessica Cioffi, MD, is an assistant professor in the division of general surgery at the UF College of Medicine. She specializes in pancreatic, biliary and liver surgery. Dr. Cioffi earned […]
- UF surgeons and graduates initiated as fellows in the American College of Surgeons
November 3, 2015
Five UF surgeons and three graduates of UF’s surgical residency program were initiated in October as fellows in the American College of Surgeons. The convocation took place in Chicago, the […]
- Seven UF surgeons named “Top Doctor” by Castle Connolly
September 25, 2015
Castle Connolly Medical Ltd., a well-known organization that rates health care providers, has named eight UF surgeons among the nation’s “top doctors” for 2015: Kenneth Andreoni, M.D.,...
- Newsweek Health names 11 UF Health specialists top in cancer care, including chairman for the department of surgery, Kevin Behrns, MD
September 24, 2015
- UF surgical resident receives competitive award funded by the National Cancer Institute (NCI)
August 20, 2015
Dan Delitto, M.D., a surgical resident in the UF Department of Surgery, was awarded the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Clinical Loan Repayment Program (LRP) for funding by the NCI. […]
- UF Department of Surgery well represented at Shock Society National Meeting
June 11, 2015
The UF Department of Surgery was well represented at this year’s Shock Society National Meeting, held by the North American/United States Shock Society, a professional organization whose mission is...
- UF Department of Surgery Debuts Progress Report
May 26, 2015
- Retired Naval captain, experienced acute care surgeon joins department faculty
May 22, 2015
R. Stephen Smith, M.D., RDMS, FACS has joined the UF department of surgery as a professor of acute care surgery. Dr. Smith earned his medical degree at the University of […]
- New director of bariatric surgery joins UF department of surgery
May 14, 2015
Jeffrey Friedman, M.D. F.A.C.S., has joined the UF department of surgery as an assistant professor in the division of general surgery and as the director of bariatric surgery. Dr. Friedman […]
- UF surgeon honored by cancer center for mentoring
May 14, 2015
Christiana Shaw, M.D., M.S., an assistant professor in the UF department of surgery, has received the Mentoring Outside the Box award from the UF Health Cancer Center. The award recognizes […]
- Chairman of UF department of surgery takes on national roles with surgical journal, American College of Surgeons
March 20, 2015
University of Florida Health surgeon Kevin E. Behrns, M.D., chairman of the UF College of Medicine’s department of surgery and the Edward R. Woodward professor of surgery, has accepted roles...
- Bariatric Care Team Hosts One-Mile Walk with Patients
February 16, 2015
Recently, the bariatric care team at UF Health hosted a one-mile walk with weight loss surgery patients. Kfir Ben-David, M.D., UF Health’s director of bariatric surgery and an associate professor,...
- UF critical care surgeons recognized at Critical Care Congress
February 3, 2015
Frederick Moore, M.D., a professor and chief of acute care surgery in the University of Florida College of Medicine’s department of surgery, received the 2015 American College of Critical Care...
- UF liver researcher selected from thousands of applicants to speak at scientific meeting
December 17, 2014
Jae-Sung Kim, Ph.D., an associate professor in the UF College of Medicine’s department of surgery and head of the Cell Death and Mitochondrial Biology Laboratory, was one of six presenters […]
- UF Surgeons in the News – CNN Wolf Blitzer: Dangers of Undiagnosed Acid Reflux
December 9, 2014
Dr. Kfir Ben-David, chief of gastroesophageal surgery service at UF Health, speaks with Wolf Blitzer about Obama’s recently diagnosed acid reflux and the risks associated with this condition.
- A New NIH Program Grant: UF Sepsis and Critical Illness Research Center
September 24, 2014
- UF Health bariatric surgery program receives new accreditation covering adult, adolescent work
September 8, 2014
The Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program has approved UF Health as an accredited “Comprehensive Center with Adolescent Qualifications.” The program,...
- UF Surgeons in the News – The Gainesville Sun: UF in line for federal grant to research debilitating, infection-related condition sepsis
August 7, 2014
The University of Florida expects to get about $12 million in federal money to launch a center researching the long-term effects and potential treatments for the sometimes deadly and often […]
- UF Health granted $11 million to establish comprehensive sepsis research center
July 30, 2014
University of Florida Health has been awarded a $12 million, five-year grant from the National Institutes of Health to create a one-of-a-kind center to help generate treatments and prevention...
- UF Surgeons in the News – TV 20: Surgical Treatment Improving for Pancreatic Cancer Patients
July 17, 2014
Pancreatic cancer has long been viewed as a death sentence – and with good reason – it’s currently the fourth leading cause of cancer death in the US, but it’s […]
- UF Health surgeon to receive national award for research contributions
July 1, 2014
University of Florida Health surgeon Frederick A. Moore, M.D., a professor and chief of acute care surgery in the UF College of Medicine’s department of surgery, has been named the […]
- UF Health surgeons’ pancreatic cancer research garners competitive university award
June 23, 2014
Jose Trevino, M.D., a UF Health surgical oncologist and an assistant professor in the department of surgery’s division of general surgery; and Chen Liu, M.D., Ph.D., associate chair of the […]
- UF researcher selected for standing NIH review position
June 20, 2014
Jae-Sung Kim, Ph.D., an associate professor in the UF department of surgery and an investigator in the department’s Cell Death and Cell Signaling Laboratory, has been selected as a standing...
- Better options for mastectomy and breast reconstruction
April 25, 2014
The news hit Tracy Cantella like a load of bricks: She had BRCA 1, the gene infamous for greatly increasing a woman’s risks of breast and ovarian cancer. She had […]
- Moldawer named to research professorship
April 25, 2014
Lyle Moldawer, Ph.D., a professor of surgery and the department of surgery’s vice chairman of research, received a University of Florida Research Foundation Professorship award. “These three-year...
- Acute care surgery team, division of general surgery welcome new faculty member
February 10, 2014
Alicia Mohr, M.D., joined the UF College of Medicine department of surgery’s division of general surgery and the acute care surgery team in January. Most recently, she worked as an […]
- Southern Surgical Association honors Copeland, UF surgeons present at association meeting
January 24, 2014
Edward M. Copeland, M.D., a Distinguished Professor of Surgery in the UF College of Medicine and a previous chair of the department of surgery, was named an honorary fellow of […]