- UF Department of Surgery Honored at 19th Annual Society of Teaching Scholars
March 15, 2019
On March 13, the The Society of Teaching Scholars held the 19th Annual Celebration of Excellence in Medical Education. The UF Department of Surgery is proud to have had been […]
- Society of Teaching Scholars Welcomes Christiana Shaw, M.D.
February 6, 2019
The Society of Teaching Scholars is pleased to welcome Christiana Shaw, M.D., as a new member! This prestigious society aims to honor and foster teaching and educational scholarship at the […]
- Bonnie’s Breast Cancer Journey
November 6, 2018
Bonnie Green’s journey through breast cancer was mitigated by the support and expertise she received from UF Health plastic and reconstructive surgeon, Dr. Mark Leyngold and UF Health breast cancer...
- Department awarded grant for devices to support surgical skills training
October 26, 2018
The University of Florida department of surgery has been awarded a grant of products worth more than $364,000 by Ethicon, a manufacturer of surgical devices. The products, including a variety...
- Five Department of Surgery Faculty Recognized as Exemplary Teachers
October 26, 2018
The following Department of Surgery faculty members have been recognized by the University of Florida as 2018 Exemplary Teachers: Jessica Cioffi, MD – assistant professor, division of surgical...
- Lyle Moldawer, Jose Trevino and Thomas Huber named University Term Professors
September 28, 2018
Three University of Florida Department of Surgery faculty have been named among the 2018-2019 University Term Professors through the UF College of Medicine. Lyle Moldawer, PhD, is a professor of...
- Dr. Jeffrey Friedman speaks about the risks associated with obesity
July 3, 2018
The CDC’s National Center for Health Statistics released new data saying an average of 23% of Americans get enough exercise, that means 77% of us, don’t.
- Florida Cancer Centers Awarded $1.36 Million to Fight Pancreatic Cancer
May 17, 2018
The Florida Department of Health’s James and Esther King Biomedical Research Program has armed the University of Florida Health Cancer Center, Moffitt Cancer Center and Sylvester Comprehensive...
- Grant funds research evaluating gut microbiome’s role in pancreatic cancer
February 2, 2018
Ryan M. Thomas, M.D., an assistant professor in the UF College of Medicine Department of Surgery, has received a Mentored Scholar Research Grant from the American Cancer Society to […]
- UF Health launches advertising campaign featuring two surgeons
December 19, 2017
Dr. Thomas Beaver and Dr. Lisa Spiguel are two of the four physicians featured in the new UF Health advertising campaign, focused on problem-solving care.
- UF surgery resident goes Hollywood as medical consultant for ‘Grey’s Anatomy’
September 28, 2017
David Hall, M.D., a fifth-year UF College of Medicine general surgery resident, served as a medical consultant for the popular ABC drama.
- Read the Summer 2017 issue of The Stitch
August 31, 2017
- Florida Academic Cancer Center Alliance renews Florida Pancreas Collaborative funding
August 1, 2017
The Florida Academic Cancer Center Alliance has renewed funding for the Florida Pancreas Collaborative, an initiative of the University of Florida Health Cancer Center, H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center in...
- Grant will help researchers create a better test for pancreatic cancer
June 28, 2017
Up to one-third of pancreatic cancer cases go undiagnosed through standard means of testing.
- Lisa Spiguel, M.D., Inducted to Gold Humanism Honor Society
June 1, 2017
Lisa Spiguel, M.D., an assistant professor in the division of general surgery’s surgical oncology service, has been inducted into the Chapman Chapter of the Gold Humanism Honor Society as a...
- UF College of Medicine approves designated Sepsis and Critical Illness Research Center
May 18, 2017
The University of Florida College of Medicine has approved a designated Sepsis and Critical Illness Research Center. The center stems from a UF department of surgery-led initiative established in 2014...
- Ali Zarrinpar, M.D., Ph.D., joins UF College of Medicine’s division of transplantation surgery
May 12, 2017
Ali Zarrinpar, M.D., Ph.D., has joined the division of transplantation surgery in the University of Florida College of Medicine as an associate professor. Zarrinpar earned his medical degree from the...
- Colorectal surgery protocol leads to decrease in length of stay, readmissions for ileostomy patients
May 11, 2017
A quality improvement initiative at UF Health Shands Hospital has led to a significant drop in the length of stay and readmissions among ileostomy patients. The intervention specifically targets...
- Read the Spring 2017 issue of The Stitch
April 27, 2017
- UF Department of Surgery offers specialized training for physician assistants
April 19, 2017
The University of Florida is among a handful of educational institutions nationwide offering a specialized surgery residency for physician assistants, or PAs. “Students might graduate from physician...
- Sometimes you need a team of people to cheer you to victory
January 31, 2017
Two years ago, Barbara Adams, 46, discovered how important the support of the right team could be. She was volunteering at the local YMCA, playing kickball with the children, and […]
- UF Health Cancer Network earns national accreditation for quality care
January 31, 2017
The UF Health Cancer Network has received a three-year accreditation with commendation by the Commission on Cancer, a quality program of the American College of Surgeons.
- Breast cancer survival takes a village
November 29, 2016
“It’s no big deal.” That was the first thought of Adela Van Antwerp, a UF College of Medicine department of surgery administrative specialist, when her radiologist found a questionable mass...
- Read the Fall 2016 issue of The Stitch
November 1, 2016
- Course prepares UF medical students for first year as surgical residents
November 1, 2016
Surgical residents face myriad challenges in the first weeks of their intern year as they transition from students to clinicians. “The hardest part about being an intern is that you […]
- UF Health recognized for excellence in pancreatic cancer treatment
October 18, 2016
- Atif Iqbal, M.D., appointed to national colorectal surgery committees
September 20, 2016
Atif Iqbal, M.D., an assistant professor of surgery at the UF College of Medicine’s Department of Surgery, has been selected as a surgical expert (three-year term, one term renewable by […]
- UF surgery resident’s research earns recognition from American College of Surgeons
August 24, 2016
Ahsan Raza, M.D., a fifth-year general surgery resident at the University of Florida College of Medicine, has earned second place in a paper competition organized by the American College of […]
- Faculty join UF College of Medicine’s Department of Surgery
August 10, 2016
Two surgeons have joined the faculty in the University of Florida’s College of Medicine’s Department of Surgery. Alexander L. Ayzengart, MD, MPH, FACS, is an assistant professor in the...
- Read the Summer 2016 issue of The Stitch
August 7, 2016
- UF Health Shands Hospital tied for top in state in 2016 U.S. News hospital rankings
August 2, 2016
- Three UF department of surgery faculty promoted
July 29, 2016
Three faculty members at the UF College of Medicine’s Department of Surgery have received promotions. Steven Hughes, MD, chief of the division of general surgery and vice chair for the […]
- In the fight against sepsis, time means everything
June 15, 2016
In the world of sepsis treatment, the scale is vast and the cost is staggering. Every year, 258,000 people in the United States die from sepsis. Hundreds of thousands of others recover with...
- Blocking protein in blood may prevent sepsis in premature infants
May 13, 2016
UF Health researchers have found that blocking a certain protein in the blood with medication could help protect premature infants from sepsis, a common and sometimes deadly infection, according to...
- Sanda Tan, M.D., Ph.D., inducted into UF Society of Teaching Scholars
May 10, 2016
Sanda Tan, M.D., Ph.D., an associate professor of surgery at University of Florida (UF) College of Medicine, was appointed to the UF Society of Teaching Scholars. She is the only […]
- UF undergrad and surgery lab researcher named to University Scholars Program
May 4, 2016
Catherine Miney, a senior biomedical engineering major at UF, was recently accepted into the University of Florida (UF) University Scholars Program. She is currently a student in a lab overseen...
- UF Health Weight Loss Surgery Center hosts annual walk
March 29, 2016
The UF Health Weight Loss Surgery Center team hosted its annual one-mile walk on March 17. Care team members included Jeffrey Friedman, M.D., UF Health’s director of bariatric surgery and […]
- UF professor elected to American Board of Surgery’s board of directors
February 11, 2016
George Sarosi, M.D., Robert H. Hux professor in the UF Department of Surgery, has been elected to the American Board of Surgery’s (ABS) board of directors. He will serve a […]
- Four new surgeons join the UF department of surgery
January 27, 2016
Jessica Cioffi, MD, is an assistant professor in the division of general surgery at the UF College of Medicine. She specializes in pancreatic, biliary and liver surgery. Dr. Cioffi earned […]
- UF surgeons and graduates initiated as fellows in the American College of Surgeons
November 3, 2015
Five UF surgeons and three graduates of UF’s surgical residency program were initiated in October as fellows in the American College of Surgeons. The convocation took place in Chicago, the […]
- Seven UF surgeons named “Top Doctor” by Castle Connolly
September 25, 2015
Castle Connolly Medical Ltd., a well-known organization that rates health care providers, has named eight UF surgeons among the nation’s “top doctors” for 2015: Kenneth Andreoni, M.D.,...
- Newsweek Health names 11 UF Health specialists top in cancer care, including chairman for the department of surgery, Kevin Behrns, MD
September 24, 2015
- UF surgical resident receives competitive award funded by the National Cancer Institute (NCI)
August 20, 2015
Dan Delitto, M.D., a surgical resident in the UF Department of Surgery, was awarded the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Clinical Loan Repayment Program (LRP) for funding by the NCI. […]
- UF Department of Surgery well represented at Shock Society National Meeting
June 11, 2015
The UF Department of Surgery was well represented at this year’s Shock Society National Meeting, held by the North American/United States Shock Society, a professional organization whose mission is...
- UF Department of Surgery Debuts Progress Report
May 26, 2015
- Retired Naval captain, experienced acute care surgeon joins department faculty
May 22, 2015
R. Stephen Smith, M.D., RDMS, FACS has joined the UF department of surgery as a professor of acute care surgery. Dr. Smith earned his medical degree at the University of […]
- New director of bariatric surgery joins UF department of surgery
May 14, 2015
Jeffrey Friedman, M.D. F.A.C.S., has joined the UF department of surgery as an assistant professor in the division of general surgery and as the director of bariatric surgery. Dr. Friedman […]
- UF surgeon honored by cancer center for mentoring
May 14, 2015
Christiana Shaw, M.D., M.S., an assistant professor in the UF department of surgery, has received the Mentoring Outside the Box award from the UF Health Cancer Center. The award recognizes […]
- Chairman of UF department of surgery takes on national roles with surgical journal, American College of Surgeons
March 20, 2015
University of Florida Health surgeon Kevin E. Behrns, M.D., chairman of the UF College of Medicine’s department of surgery and the Edward R. Woodward professor of surgery, has accepted roles...
- Bariatric Care Team Hosts One-Mile Walk with Patients
February 16, 2015
Recently, the bariatric care team at UF Health hosted a one-mile walk with weight loss surgery patients. Kfir Ben-David, M.D., UF Health’s director of bariatric surgery and an associate professor,...