- UF surgery resident’s research earns recognition from American College of Surgeons
August 24, 2016
Ahsan Raza, M.D., a fifth-year general surgery resident at the University of Florida College of Medicine, has earned second place in a paper competition organized by the American College of […]
- Faculty join UF College of Medicine’s Department of Surgery
August 10, 2016
Two surgeons have joined the faculty in the University of Florida’s College of Medicine’s Department of Surgery. Alexander L. Ayzengart, MD, MPH, FACS, is an assistant professor in the...
- UF Health Shands Hospital tied for top in state in 2016 U.S. News hospital rankings
August 2, 2016
- Three UF department of surgery faculty promoted
July 29, 2016
Three faculty members at the UF College of Medicine’s Department of Surgery have received promotions. Steven Hughes, MD, chief of the division of general surgery and vice chair for the […]
- In the fight against sepsis, time means everything
June 15, 2016
In the world of sepsis treatment, the scale is vast and the cost is staggering. Every year, 258,000 people in the United States die from sepsis. Hundreds of thousands of others recover with...
- Blocking protein in blood may prevent sepsis in premature infants
May 13, 2016
UF Health researchers have found that blocking a certain protein in the blood with medication could help protect premature infants from sepsis, a common and sometimes deadly infection, according to...
- Sanda Tan, M.D., Ph.D., inducted into UF Society of Teaching Scholars
May 10, 2016
Sanda Tan, M.D., Ph.D., an associate professor of surgery at University of Florida (UF) College of Medicine, was appointed to the UF Society of Teaching Scholars. She is the only […]
- UF undergrad and surgery lab researcher named to University Scholars Program
May 4, 2016
Catherine Miney, a senior biomedical engineering major at UF, was recently accepted into the University of Florida (UF) University Scholars Program. She is currently a student in a lab overseen...
- UF Health Weight Loss Surgery Center hosts annual walk
March 29, 2016
The UF Health Weight Loss Surgery Center team hosted its annual one-mile walk on March 17. Care team members included Jeffrey Friedman, M.D., UF Health’s director of bariatric surgery and […]
- UF professor elected to American Board of Surgery’s board of directors
February 11, 2016
George Sarosi, M.D., Robert H. Hux professor in the UF Department of Surgery, has been elected to the American Board of Surgery’s (ABS) board of directors. He will serve a […]
- Four new surgeons join the UF department of surgery
January 27, 2016
Jessica Cioffi, MD, is an assistant professor in the division of general surgery at the UF College of Medicine. She specializes in pancreatic, biliary and liver surgery. Dr. Cioffi earned […]
- UF surgeons and graduates initiated as fellows in the American College of Surgeons
November 3, 2015
Five UF surgeons and three graduates of UF’s surgical residency program were initiated in October as fellows in the American College of Surgeons. The convocation took place in Chicago, the […]
- Seven UF surgeons named “Top Doctor” by Castle Connolly
September 25, 2015
Castle Connolly Medical Ltd., a well-known organization that rates health care providers, has named eight UF surgeons among the nation’s “top doctors” for 2015: Kenneth Andreoni, M.D.,...
- Newsweek Health names 11 UF Health specialists top in cancer care, including chairman for the department of surgery, Kevin Behrns, MD
September 24, 2015
- UF surgical resident receives competitive award funded by the National Cancer Institute (NCI)
August 20, 2015
Dan Delitto, M.D., a surgical resident in the UF Department of Surgery, was awarded the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Clinical Loan Repayment Program (LRP) for funding by the NCI. […]
- UF Department of Surgery well represented at Shock Society National Meeting
June 11, 2015
The UF Department of Surgery was well represented at this year’s Shock Society National Meeting, held by the North American/United States Shock Society, a professional organization whose mission is...
- UF Department of Surgery Debuts Progress Report
May 26, 2015
- Retired Naval captain, experienced acute care surgeon joins department faculty
May 22, 2015
R. Stephen Smith, M.D., RDMS, FACS has joined the UF department of surgery as a professor of acute care surgery. Dr. Smith earned his medical degree at the University of […]
- New director of bariatric surgery joins UF department of surgery
May 14, 2015
Jeffrey Friedman, M.D. F.A.C.S., has joined the UF department of surgery as an assistant professor in the division of general surgery and as the director of bariatric surgery. Dr. Friedman […]
- UF surgeon honored by cancer center for mentoring
May 14, 2015
Christiana Shaw, M.D., M.S., an assistant professor in the UF department of surgery, has received the Mentoring Outside the Box award from the UF Health Cancer Center. The award recognizes […]
- Chairman of UF department of surgery takes on national roles with surgical journal, American College of Surgeons
March 20, 2015
University of Florida Health surgeon Kevin E. Behrns, M.D., chairman of the UF College of Medicine’s department of surgery and the Edward R. Woodward professor of surgery, has accepted roles...
- Bariatric Care Team Hosts One-Mile Walk with Patients
February 16, 2015
Recently, the bariatric care team at UF Health hosted a one-mile walk with weight loss surgery patients. Kfir Ben-David, M.D., UF Health’s director of bariatric surgery and an associate professor,...
- UF critical care surgeons recognized at Critical Care Congress
February 3, 2015
Frederick Moore, M.D., a professor and chief of acute care surgery in the University of Florida College of Medicine’s department of surgery, received the 2015 American College of Critical Care...
- UF liver researcher selected from thousands of applicants to speak at scientific meeting
December 17, 2014
Jae-Sung Kim, Ph.D., an associate professor in the UF College of Medicine’s department of surgery and head of the Cell Death and Mitochondrial Biology Laboratory, was one of six presenters […]
- UF Surgeons in the News – CNN Wolf Blitzer: Dangers of Undiagnosed Acid Reflux
December 9, 2014
Dr. Kfir Ben-David, chief of gastroesophageal surgery service at UF Health, speaks with Wolf Blitzer about Obama’s recently diagnosed acid reflux and the risks associated with this condition.
- A New NIH Program Grant: UF Sepsis and Critical Illness Research Center
September 24, 2014
- UF Health bariatric surgery program receives new accreditation covering adult, adolescent work
September 8, 2014
The Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program has approved UF Health as an accredited “Comprehensive Center with Adolescent Qualifications.” The program,...
- UF Surgeons in the News – The Gainesville Sun: UF in line for federal grant to research debilitating, infection-related condition sepsis
August 7, 2014
The University of Florida expects to get about $12 million in federal money to launch a center researching the long-term effects and potential treatments for the sometimes deadly and often […]
- UF Health granted $11 million to establish comprehensive sepsis research center
July 30, 2014
University of Florida Health has been awarded a $12 million, five-year grant from the National Institutes of Health to create a one-of-a-kind center to help generate treatments and prevention...
- UF Surgeons in the News – TV 20: Surgical Treatment Improving for Pancreatic Cancer Patients
July 17, 2014
Pancreatic cancer has long been viewed as a death sentence – and with good reason – it’s currently the fourth leading cause of cancer death in the US, but it’s […]
- UF Health surgeon to receive national award for research contributions
July 1, 2014
University of Florida Health surgeon Frederick A. Moore, M.D., a professor and chief of acute care surgery in the UF College of Medicine’s department of surgery, has been named the […]
- UF Health surgeons’ pancreatic cancer research garners competitive university award
June 23, 2014
Jose Trevino, M.D., a UF Health surgical oncologist and an assistant professor in the department of surgery’s division of general surgery; and Chen Liu, M.D., Ph.D., associate chair of the […]
- UF researcher selected for standing NIH review position
June 20, 2014
Jae-Sung Kim, Ph.D., an associate professor in the UF department of surgery and an investigator in the department’s Cell Death and Cell Signaling Laboratory, has been selected as a standing...
- Better options for mastectomy and breast reconstruction
April 25, 2014
The news hit Tracy Cantella like a load of bricks: She had BRCA 1, the gene infamous for greatly increasing a woman’s risks of breast and ovarian cancer. She had […]
- Moldawer named to research professorship
April 25, 2014
Lyle Moldawer, Ph.D., a professor of surgery and the department of surgery’s vice chairman of research, received a University of Florida Research Foundation Professorship award. “These three-year...
- Acute care surgery team, division of general surgery welcome new faculty member
February 10, 2014
Alicia Mohr, M.D., joined the UF College of Medicine department of surgery’s division of general surgery and the acute care surgery team in January. Most recently, she worked as an […]
- Southern Surgical Association honors Copeland, UF surgeons present at association meeting
January 24, 2014
Edward M. Copeland, M.D., a Distinguished Professor of Surgery in the UF College of Medicine and a previous chair of the department of surgery, was named an honorary fellow of […]
- Science for survival
January 14, 2014
Faculty Spotlight: Jose Trevino, M.D. Personalizing pancreatic cancer treatment for his patients is the main goal for Jose Trevino, M.D. It may sound like a tall order for such a […]
- New faculty member joins department of surgery’s division of general surgery
December 23, 2013
Ryan M. Thomas, M.D. earned his medical degree from Loyola University Chicago and completed his surgical residency at the University of Cincinnati. For two years during his residency, he was […]
- UF Health Breast Center recognized for excellence in patient care
December 19, 2013
The UF Health Breast Center received reaccreditation this month from the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers, as well as commendations for best practices for quality initiatives and...
- UF Surgeons in the News – TV20: Research Suggests Reflux May Be A Problem For Sleeve Patients
November 25, 2013
It can be lifesaving surgery, but not without risk. Gastric sleeve surgery is quickly becoming a popular choice for those looking to lose weight, but doctors say it doesn’t fix […]
- UF surgeon inducted into American College of Surgeons
November 22, 2013
One UF surgeon and two graduates of UF’s surgical residency program were initiated in October as fellows in the American College of Surgeons. The convocation took place in Washington, D.C.,...
- Several surgery clinics move to UF Health Springhill in Northwest Gainesville
November 5, 2013
UF Health’s outpatient clinics for plastic surgery, vein surgery and breast, melanoma and endocrine surgery have moved to UF Health Springhill. The UF Health Plastic Surgery & Aesthetics Center...
- UF Surgeons in the News – TV20: Breast Reconstruction
October 23, 2013
A mastectomy is a surgical procedure that removes the breast to treat or prevent breast cancer. Women often choose breast reconstruction to help restore the look and feel of the breast […]
- Breast Reconstruction Awareness Day
October 16, 2013
Dealing with breast cancer involves so much more than just eradicating disease. For many women, breast reconstruction is an important part of recovery from cancer. And for women with a […]
- UF Health trauma surgeon, other experts call for new standard in fractured ribs treatment
September 30, 2013
For most patients in the United States with several broken ribs, recovery is a months long journey full of immense pain, difficulty breathing and a high risk of serious complications. […]
- UF researchers to test method for predicting complications in trauma patients
September 25, 2013
University of Florida researchers have received a four-year, $1.8 million grant from the National Institutes of Health to verify the effectiveness of a new genomic screening method that could help...
- UF Surgeons in the News – GTN News: New Standard in Fractured Ribs Treatment
September 19, 2013
UF trauma surgeon, Lawrence Lottenberg, M.D., speaks about a rib plating procedure that can reduce pain as much as 80 percent in patients.
- UF department of surgery welcomes new acute care surgeon
August 15, 2013
Scott Brakenridge, M.D., has joined UF’s acute care surgery team as an assistant professor. In 2012, he completed a fellowship in trauma and surgical critical care at the University of […]
- Defying the odds, motorcycle accident survivor returns to the life he loves
August 13, 2013
Michael Gracy’s life nearly ended one Friday afternoon in November 2010. Then 68, Gracy had just left work at his Gainesville office of the financial services company for which he […]