- UF Health Cancer Center named Center of Excellence by health department, governor’s office
March 24, 2015
Gov. Rick Scott and the Florida Department of Health have recognized the University of Florida Health Cancer Center, with locations in Gainesville and Orlando, as a state-designated Cancer Center of...
- Chairman of UF department of surgery takes on national roles with surgical journal, American College of Surgeons
March 20, 2015
University of Florida Health surgeon Kevin E. Behrns, M.D., chairman of the UF College of Medicine’s department of surgery and the Edward R. Woodward professor of surgery, has accepted roles...
- Bariatric Care Team Hosts One-Mile Walk with Patients
February 16, 2015
Recently, the bariatric care team at UF Health hosted a one-mile walk with weight loss surgery patients. Kfir Ben-David, M.D., UF Health’s director of bariatric surgery and an associate professor,...
- UF critical care surgeons recognized at Critical Care Congress
February 3, 2015
Frederick Moore, M.D., a professor and chief of acute care surgery in the University of Florida College of Medicine’s department of surgery, received the 2015 American College of Critical Care...
- UF liver researcher selected from thousands of applicants to speak at scientific meeting
December 17, 2014
Jae-Sung Kim, Ph.D., an associate professor in the UF College of Medicine’s department of surgery and head of the Cell Death and Mitochondrial Biology Laboratory, was one of six presenters […]
- UF Surgeons in the News – CNN Wolf Blitzer: Dangers of Undiagnosed Acid Reflux
December 9, 2014
Dr. Kfir Ben-David, chief of gastroesophageal surgery service at UF Health, speaks with Wolf Blitzer about Obama’s recently diagnosed acid reflux and the risks associated with this condition.
- A New NIH Program Grant: UF Sepsis and Critical Illness Research Center
September 24, 2014
- UF Health bariatric surgery program receives new accreditation covering adult, adolescent work
September 8, 2014
The Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program has approved UF Health as an accredited “Comprehensive Center with Adolescent Qualifications.” The program,...
- UF Surgeons in the News – The Gainesville Sun: UF in line for federal grant to research debilitating, infection-related condition sepsis
August 7, 2014
The University of Florida expects to get about $12 million in federal money to launch a center researching the long-term effects and potential treatments for the sometimes deadly and often […]
- UF Health granted $11 million to establish comprehensive sepsis research center
July 30, 2014
University of Florida Health has been awarded a $12 million, five-year grant from the National Institutes of Health to create a one-of-a-kind center to help generate treatments and prevention...
- UF Surgeons in the News – TV 20: Surgical Treatment Improving for Pancreatic Cancer Patients
July 17, 2014
Pancreatic cancer has long been viewed as a death sentence – and with good reason – it’s currently the fourth leading cause of cancer death in the US, but it’s […]
- UF Health surgeon to receive national award for research contributions
July 1, 2014
University of Florida Health surgeon Frederick A. Moore, M.D., a professor and chief of acute care surgery in the UF College of Medicine’s department of surgery, has been named the […]
- UF Health surgeons’ pancreatic cancer research garners competitive university award
June 23, 2014
Jose Trevino, M.D., a UF Health surgical oncologist and an assistant professor in the department of surgery’s division of general surgery; and Chen Liu, M.D., Ph.D., associate chair of the […]
- UF researcher selected for standing NIH review position
June 20, 2014
Jae-Sung Kim, Ph.D., an associate professor in the UF department of surgery and an investigator in the department’s Cell Death and Cell Signaling Laboratory, has been selected as a standing...
- Better options for mastectomy and breast reconstruction
April 25, 2014
The news hit Tracy Cantella like a load of bricks: She had BRCA 1, the gene infamous for greatly increasing a woman’s risks of breast and ovarian cancer. She had […]
- Moldawer named to research professorship
April 25, 2014
Lyle Moldawer, Ph.D., a professor of surgery and the department of surgery’s vice chairman of research, received a University of Florida Research Foundation Professorship award. “These three-year...
- Acute care surgery team, division of general surgery welcome new faculty member
February 10, 2014
Alicia Mohr, M.D., joined the UF College of Medicine department of surgery’s division of general surgery and the acute care surgery team in January. Most recently, she worked as an […]
- Southern Surgical Association honors Copeland, UF surgeons present at association meeting
January 24, 2014
Edward M. Copeland, M.D., a Distinguished Professor of Surgery in the UF College of Medicine and a previous chair of the department of surgery, was named an honorary fellow of […]
- Science for survival
January 14, 2014
Faculty Spotlight: Jose Trevino, M.D. Personalizing pancreatic cancer treatment for his patients is the main goal for Jose Trevino, M.D. It may sound like a tall order for such a […]
- New faculty member joins department of surgery’s division of general surgery
December 23, 2013
Ryan M. Thomas, M.D. earned his medical degree from Loyola University Chicago and completed his surgical residency at the University of Cincinnati. For two years during his residency, he was […]
- UF Health Breast Center recognized for excellence in patient care
December 19, 2013
The UF Health Breast Center received reaccreditation this month from the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers, as well as commendations for best practices for quality initiatives and...
- UF Surgeons in the News – TV20: Research Suggests Reflux May Be A Problem For Sleeve Patients
November 25, 2013
It can be lifesaving surgery, but not without risk. Gastric sleeve surgery is quickly becoming a popular choice for those looking to lose weight, but doctors say it doesn’t fix […]
- UF surgeon inducted into American College of Surgeons
November 22, 2013
One UF surgeon and two graduates of UF’s surgical residency program were initiated in October as fellows in the American College of Surgeons. The convocation took place in Washington, D.C.,...
- Several surgery clinics move to UF Health Springhill in Northwest Gainesville
November 5, 2013
UF Health’s outpatient clinics for plastic surgery, vein surgery and breast, melanoma and endocrine surgery have moved to UF Health Springhill. The UF Health Plastic Surgery & Aesthetics Center...
- UF Surgeons in the News – TV20: Breast Reconstruction
October 23, 2013
A mastectomy is a surgical procedure that removes the breast to treat or prevent breast cancer. Women often choose breast reconstruction to help restore the look and feel of the breast […]
- Breast Reconstruction Awareness Day
October 16, 2013
Dealing with breast cancer involves so much more than just eradicating disease. For many women, breast reconstruction is an important part of recovery from cancer. And for women with a […]
- UF Health trauma surgeon, other experts call for new standard in fractured ribs treatment
September 30, 2013
For most patients in the United States with several broken ribs, recovery is a months long journey full of immense pain, difficulty breathing and a high risk of serious complications. […]
- UF researchers to test method for predicting complications in trauma patients
September 25, 2013
University of Florida researchers have received a four-year, $1.8 million grant from the National Institutes of Health to verify the effectiveness of a new genomic screening method that could help...
- UF Surgeons in the News – GTN News: New Standard in Fractured Ribs Treatment
September 19, 2013
UF trauma surgeon, Lawrence Lottenberg, M.D., speaks about a rib plating procedure that can reduce pain as much as 80 percent in patients.
- UF department of surgery welcomes new acute care surgeon
August 15, 2013
Scott Brakenridge, M.D., has joined UF’s acute care surgery team as an assistant professor. In 2012, he completed a fellowship in trauma and surgical critical care at the University of […]
- Defying the odds, motorcycle accident survivor returns to the life he loves
August 13, 2013
Michael Gracy’s life nearly ended one Friday afternoon in November 2010. Then 68, Gracy had just left work at his Gainesville office of the financial services company for which he […]
- UF Surgeons in the News – Huffington Post blog: Want to Improve Medical Research?
July 29, 2013
UF surgical researchers co-authored the PNAS study referenced in this blog post, along with researchers from other institutions.
- UF acute care surgeon to become American College of Critical Care Medicine fellow
June 21, 2013
Philip Efron, M.D., an assistant professor of surgery and anesthesiology at UF and co-director of the Laboratory of Inflammation Biology and Surgical Science, has been named a fellow of the […]
- Lottenberg receives prestigious award from state chapter of the American College of Surgeons
June 4, 2013
Lawrence Lottenberg, M.D., F.A.C.S., received the distinguished Raymond H. Alexander, M.D., F.A.C.S. Award at the 2013 Annual Meeting of the Florida Chapter, American College of Surgeons held in...
- New UF inflammation center includes two department of surgery faculty members
June 4, 2013
Emina Huang, M.D., a UF colorectal surgeon and an assistant professor of surgery, and Lyle Moldawer, Ph.D., a professor of surgery and the department’s vice chair of research, are members...
- Q&A on mastectomies and breast reconstruction with UF’s top plastic surgeon
May 30, 2013
Q&A on mastectomies and breast reconstruction with UF’s top plastic surgeon Angelina Jolie’s recent announcement of her preventative double mastectomy and subsequent breast reconstruction has...
- UF Surgeons in the News – The Gainesville Sun: Weight loss surgery
May 29, 2013
- Hughes appointed to journal editorial board
April 30, 2013
Steven Hughes, M.D., chief of general surgery and an associate professor in the UF College of Medicine’s department of surgery, was appointed to the editorial board of the Journal of […]
- Room for improvement in mouse models, UF surgical investigators say
April 2, 2013
UF researchers co-authored two recently published journal articles that may reform scientists’ use of a staple in medical research: the mouse model. One article describes a series of studies by...
- Ready for anything
March 18, 2013
The Level I trauma centers at Shands at UF and Shands Jacksonville are always prepared to treat the most severe injuries, thanks to multidisciplinary teams of employees that keep the […]
- Breast surgeon joins UF department of surgery
October 22, 2012
Lisa R.P. Spiguel, M.D., has joined the University of Florida department of surgery as an assistant professor in the division of general surgery’s surgical oncology service. Spiguel’s clinical...
- UF surgeons, alumni become fellows in American College of Surgeons
October 22, 2012
Eight UF surgeons and three graduates of UF’s surgical residency program were initiated in September as fellows in the American College of Surgeons. The convocation took place in Chicago following...
- Ten UF surgeons named “top doctors”
October 2, 2012
Physician rankings on U.S. News & World Reports’ website show 10 UF surgeons are among the nation’s “top doctors,” as determined by Castle Connolly Medical Ltd., a well-known organization...
- Orange, Blue and Pink Breast Cancer Symposium
September 28, 2012
UF&Shands providers will share the latest in breast cancer prevention, treatment and recovery at this October 9 event. Reserve your spot today.
- Pink Pumpkin Fest 2012
September 20, 2012
Join UF&Shands for the Pink Pumpkin Fest to raise breast cancer awareness and support breast cancer research right here at the University of Florida! We’ve got a full line up […]
- Helping hands at UF&Shands save youngster’s right hand
September 18, 2012
Winston T. Richards, M.D., an acute care surgeon at UF&Shands, the University of Florida Academic Health Center, treated 4-year-old Benjamin Bileca after a horrific accident stripped the skin...
- New surgeons join UF department of surgery
September 17, 2012
UF’s department of surgery has welcomed six new faculty members this summer. Two surgeons have joined the acute care surgery team: Linda Atteberry, M.D., as an associate professor and Janeen...
- In the Loupes: A ride into a new adventure
August 27, 2012
A ride into a new adventure By Georgios Rossidis, M.D. Assistant professor of surgery “Time out. This is patient …” It is early July 2012. […]
- Faculty promotions and tenure news
July 24, 2012
Congratulations to Steven Hughes, M.D., an associate professor and chief of the department of surgery’s division of general surgery, on earning tenure; and to Thomas Beaver, M.D., M.P.H., with the...
- In the Loupes: Veteran Benefits
July 9, 2012
Veteran Benefits By Anthony McDonald, M.D. Assistant professor of surgery Five years have gone by in a heartbeat. Perhaps appropriately, I joined the general surgery staff...